Information for Participation
Institutional registration for the 2020 SCFW is now closed. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for information about future administrations.
The purpose of this page is provide detailed information for 2020 SCFW institutional partners.
What you will receive for participating:
- A detailed report comparing findings from your institution to the national findings
- Copy of de-identified student data for your institution's respondents
- Support and expertise of the national research team
What you will need to participate:
- Complete registration form by August 1st, 2019
- Receive institutional approval for participation by October 1st, 2019
- Obtain random sample of students
- Provide educational records of students (optional)
- Provide incentives for participants (optional)
Detailed Instructions for Participation:
Note: Please don't worry if this your first time working with a research study; our team is committed to your success and will walk you through each step!
1: Complete the registration form by August 1st, 2019.
2: Receive institutional approval for participation by October 1st, 2019
In order to participate in the SCFW, your institution must complete either an authorization agreement for your Institutional Review Board to cede review to the Ohio State IRB, an independent review and approval by your institution's IRB, or a letter of support from an appropriate administrator. Use this flow chart to determine which method is best for your institution. Additional information, including sample documents, is also available in the Administration Plan.
3: Obtain random sample of students
We will work with either your institution's Office of Institutional Research/Effectiveness or administration to pull a random sample of students. You will not have to personally recruit any students. The following chart summarizes sample sizes for different institutions:
Institution’s Undergraduate Students
More than 20,000
4: Provide educational records of students (optional)
The institution can provide the SCFW with demographic information for each student included in the random sample at the onset of the study. Student data will not be stored or utilized unless students give consent for their educational records to be used.
This information can include:
- Class rank
- Citizenship status
- Type of degree student is pursuing (i.e., associate’s, bachelor’s, not enrolled in degree program)
- College (if applicable; i.e. Engineering, Social Sciences, Business)
- Cumulative GPA
5: Provide incentives for participants (optional)
To ensure high response rates, institutions are encouraged to offer incentives to students for participation in the survey. Suggested incentives include:
- Entering all participating students in a raffle and the winner(s) receives an iPad or gift card
- Providing free tickets to a campus event for each participating student
- Providing a coupon for a free or reduced priced item at the campus book store or cafeteria
If you have any questions about this process, please contact Tori Rehr, SCFW Study Coordinator, at email@example.com.